Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Cure OR Acceptance?

Yes, it is a hot topic among the community of us who have children affected by ASD. On one hand you have folks who have seen changes happen. A "cure" persay...something that made their children act, talk, react, and socialize like most other children out there. On the other hand, you have parents who are happy with what they have been given and say that there is no need for these cures.

I can see both sides of the fence. I'm just not sure where I stand on it. We did the gluten-free, casein-free diet for a while, but it was tough. We finally went off of the diet and Henry actually started doing better. So...I'm going to guess that gluten wasn't our issue.

I have looked into the biomedical research. It's scary. Needles and pricks and hyperbaric chambers. I'm just not sure I can put my sweet baby through all of that.

I've researched supplements. I may begin to use a few eventually. I have just yet to find a book to tell me about them all without the author plugging their own agenda.

As much as I would love for my son not to struggle with things in life, I just don't know that I can put all of my eggs in one basket to try to change what he is. I love him the way he is. Everything about him is awesome. So, for now I guess I'm on the side of the fence that is just looking for acceptance. Who on Earth knows where I'll be a month from now, but I'm sure that where ever it is and whatever we decide, that Henry will have the happiest of all lives.

Now....on to vacation. :)

1 comment:

  1. I went to an autism conference a few years ago geared more to high functioning autism and asperger's. But one of the speakers said we NEED people like this. A lot of times they are so intelligent in a certain area and so focused on that subject that they are the ones who make things happen and come up with awesome inventions. This was right after Katrina, and I remember the speaker saying, " who do you think got those electrical grids up and running again? It was the Aspies!" (term for those with asperger's) We don't need to "fix" our children. We need to accept them and teach the world to accept and appreciate their differences. And as a parent who wants the best, this is sometimes very hard to do.

    ReplyDelete